Saturday, December 29, 2007

Tiger II Tower

I decided this was Tiger II's year to get the biggest present so I started checking out cat towers. They are realllly expensive and after looking at tons of them I decided with some help from Frank and Vick I could make one. Vick loaned us his tools, plywood, carpet and nails. We went to the Moreno farm and picked out some natural wood, cedar. Finally we hit up the Home Depot for some more plywood and posts.

The first day I just cut all the plywood and wood posts, drilling holes, making measurements etc. The second day was spent putting it all together, and carpeting it. Sounds easy enough. Well, turns out natural wood is hard to put a nail in it down the center, and its not straight. I put 3-4 nails in that bent and we couldn't get them out after hours of trying so we sawed them off and started again. After lots of fits, and blood, and some mild swearing (like "oh tiddly-winks," not) I finally finished it.

It was supposed to be a 72" tower and ended up finishin as only a 36" tower. Tiger II is too heavy for some of the levels and they bend when he hops on them. Lardo! I will need to brace them before he breaks them, but he is in kitty heaven. Before I was even finished he was climbing on it and loving on it. He hasn't slept in our bed since it was made.

If I can find more carpet I will probably sell this one and move on to bigger and better things. While I was making it I swore I would never do it again, but once I was finished I started getting ideas of the next one. :)


Got a few more pics HERE if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment